A judge is due to rule today on whether a Dominion man should face a new manslaughter charge in a case that’s being described as highly unusual. In December of 2005, 50 year-old Nelson MacPhee shot brothers Kenneth and Donald Seymour in their Glace Bay home. Kenneth died hours later in hospital and Donald was badly injured. MacPhee pleaded guilty to manslaughter in Kenneth’s death and aggravated assault in Donald’s shooting. However, earlier this year the Crown laid another charge of manslaughter against MacPhee after Donald died in 2012. The Crown argues that Donald’s death was due to complications related to the shooting, but MacPhee’s lawyer, T.J. McKeough, says that his client has already been held accountable and punished for the shooting of Donald Seymour. McKeough is asking the court to dismiss the new manslaughter charge. MacPhee has already served seven years of a 15-year sentence on the previous charges.
As predicted, the price of gas dropped, overnight. Gas went down by 1.9 cents a litre and now goes for a minimum of $1.22 in Cape Breton. Meanwhile diesel went up slightly by .1 cents a litre and now goes for a minimum of $1.27.5.
Cape Breton Regional Police are warning drivers to expect delays in New Waterford this morning as two mock railway accidents are carried out. Logistec Corporation is putting on the fake mishaps for students at Breton Education Centre. The events will take place at the 8th Street/Duggan Avenue railway crossing. 8th St. will be blocked and rerouted at Warren and Lowell Cormier Avenues between 7:30 and 11:00. Police will be on scene to help with traffic control. Drivers are asked to use caution in the area, and to use other routes, if possible.
The Cape Breton District Health Authority is warning people that a computer upgrade will affect services at all its facilities, next week. It adds a number of services will not be available on Tuesday and Wednesday.
|They include walk-in blood collection and specimen drop-off service, walk-in and scheduled x-rays, ambulatory care and all elective surgeries.|
Only emergency services will be available on those days. Urgent appointments will continue for some patients who will be notified. Patients scheduled for follow-up clinics will be rescheduled. Satellite lab collection clinics in Port Hood, Waycobah, Margaree, Membertou and Wagmatcook are CANCELLED from Tuesday through Thursday of next week. The District adds the computer system will not be available during the upgrade and is warning there could be delays in registration at Emergency Departments.
The Sykes call centre in Sydney will be closing on January 30th, putting about 130 people out of work. A Sykes spokesperson in Tampa, Florida says it’s closing its Sydney location due to market conditions. She adds some of the workers affected by the move might be able to continue with the company if they’re willing to work from home. The call centre based on Vulcan Avenue provided customer care and technical support for its only client Bell Canada. Sykes originally operated as ICT Group when it opened its doors in Sydney in October of 1998.
One of the people charged in a brutal assault on a homeless man in North Sydney is due back in court, today. 22 year-old Corey Patrick Richard Blinkhorn faces charges of attempted murder, aggravated assault, wearing a disguise in committing an offence and impersonating a police officer in the case. The North Sydney man has already elected a Supreme Court trial by judge alone and is due in court today to set a date for a preliminary inquiring. Regional Police charged a total of six people in relation to the beating of 48-year-old Shawn Curtis Jack on July 14th. He suffered serious injuries and was sent to hospital in Halifax for treatment. Last week, a 16 year-old North Sydney girl who can’t be named because of her age pleaded guilty to aggravated assault and a breach in relation to the attack. She’s scheduled to be sentenced on November 26th.
Regional councillors on the Northside have joined those speaking out against planned changes to how blood is collected at the Northside General Hospital.
The Cape Breton District Health Authority plans move to a point-of-care testing system for the collection of blood and other specimens over the next year.
The move involves consolidating the analyzing of samples at the Regional Hospital in Sydney.
Councillor Clarence Prince says people are still concerned that the Cape Breton District Health Authority plans to turn the Northside General into a long-term care facility.
He says, even though the District denies the rumour, other changes at the hospital such as the loss of the intermediate care unit and emergency department closures continue to raise doubts.
Prince is calling for a public forum with the provincial health minister so that people can ask questions and express their concerns.
Councillor Charlie Keagan says more money should be put into doctor recruitment to prevent closures of the hospital’s Emergency Department.
Mae Rowe says a lot of people in her District rely on the Northside General and echoes Councillor Prince’s call for a public meeting with provincial health officials.
Richmond County has a new warden. Councillors voted their colleague Victor David to the post, at their meeting, last night. David defeated former warden Steve Sampson in last night’s vote. Councillor Shirley McNamara was voted as deputy warden. Also at last night’s council meeting, councillors were presented with two options for reducing the size of council. Consultant John Heseltine recommended either reducing council from ten to seven members or going down to five members and having a mayor elected, at large, by Richmond County voters. Councillors voted to have a closer look at both options before they make a decision.
A 27 year-old Cape Breton man is due in Kentville Court today to enter a plea on child pornography charges. Captain Lawrence Arthur Jordan from Lingan Road is a reservist with the Cape Breton Highlanders. He was charged in May with possession of child pornography. The charge was filed by the Canadian Forces National Investigation Service after an incident that the unit says occurred at Camp Aldershot in June of last year.
MLA’s won’t be sitting at the Legislature today as new House rules take effect.
Under the changes, there will be no more Monday sittings at Province House, unless there’s an emergency.
The Progressive Conservatives demanded the possibility for Monday sittings before they would support the changes.
Mondays will now be reserved for committee meetings and law amendments.
When the changers were unanimously approved earlier this month, the NDP won its demand for an extra five minutes a day for question period.
Other proposed changes, including new committee structures, will be addressed after this session of the Legislature.